Capital Gains Tax

If you sell a capital asset, such as real estate or shares, you usually make what is known as a capital gain or a capital loss. This is the difference in value between the cost to acquire the asset, and the balance received when the asset is sold or otherwise disposed of. You need to report capital gains and losses in your income tax return and pay the relevant capital gains tax (commonly referred to as “CGT”). When you make a capital gain, it is added to your assessable income and may significantly increase the tax you need to pay.

Abbotts can provide comprehensive advice on CGT issues as well as the legislative requirements that you need to be aware of. We can also assist you to account for the capital gain as a result of a CGT event.

We can assist you with an array of services related to CGT, including:

Abbotts can assist you with planning for payments of capital gains tax, by understanding how it applies to your circumstances.

This includes looking at issues such as – determining whether a CGT event has happened, what the timing of the CGT event is, if the assets are subject to CGT legislation, how capital gains or losses are calculated, and whether there are exceptions or concessions available.

Understanding this starts with good record keeping. Keeping adequate records of all expenditure will help you correctly work out the amount of capital gain or capital loss you have made when a CGT event happens. It will also help to make sure you do not pay more CGT than is necessary. We can guide you through what records need to be kept, and assist with the planning of asset disposals and other events that may fall under CGT legislation.

All assets acquired since capital gains tax started are subject to CGT unless specifically excluded. There are however exemptions and rollovers that may allow you to reduce, defer or disregard your capital gain or capital loss. In addition to the exemptions, there are small business concessions that allow you to disregard or defer some or all of a capital gain from an active asset used in a small business.

Abbotts can provide comprehensive advice and assist you with defining whether an exception exists, or provide guidance on any applicable small business concessions that you are entitled to.

Differing applicability rules apply to people based on their residency status. Australian residents have different rules to foreign residents. Temporary residents also have specific limitations on which CGT events apply and the range of assets those events apply to. But what is an ‘Australian resident’? When do you become or stop being one? What other rules apply?

Abbotts can answer all of those questions, and help you know where you stand regarding international CGT issues.

Our Capital Gains Tax Specialists


Chris Higham

Partner, Abbotts Chartered Accountants

Chris has been a part of the Abbotts Team since 1987 and has worked in the accounting profession since 1983. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1991 and was appointed as a Partner in Abbotts Chartered Accountants that year.

David Drake

David Drake

Partner, Abbotts Chartered Accountants

David is our Tax Specialist and has worked in the tax and accounting field since 1982. David spent several years early in his career working in the ATO. He joined the Abbotts team in 1997 and became a Partner of the Practice in July 2000.

Eric Ballard

Eric Ballard

Director, Abbotts Chartered Accountants

Eric has in excess of 15 years of experience providing tax and business services having worked in both mid-tier and boutique advisory firms.

Enquiry Form